11/14/13

Why I Started Cloth Diapering

When I had Reid I'd thought of cloth diapering off and on and even tried for a short time with cheap, cheap diapers from eBay. They were truly horrible and leaked and I tossed them.  I was given about 6 months of diapers from showers for him and he was potty trained by 21 months.  However, according to my calculations from online estimates I still spent over $1,000 on disposable diapers.  Yikes, that's a lot of money!

Then my sweet Grace comes along and we were given a full YEAR of diapers but when those ran out before I knew it in a few weeks time I'd spent over $30.  I talked to my friend Sarah, Rebekah, & Melanie.  They were the only people I know who do it now or have in the past. Sarah was no longer using her stuff and mailed it to me to try!!!  I loved being able to see what it was like without the investment.  After the first few days I fell in a routine and really liked it.  I made the plunge and bought the diapers from Sarah and have been fully cloth diapering for about two months.  The only time we use a disposable is overnight.  I tried several options to keep us dry all night but they didn't work for us.  (Grace sleeps 13+ hours at night.)


What we use:

I use Grovia all in one snap diapers.  They adjust 8-30 pounds so buying multiple sizes isn't needed.  They have snap in inserts.  If just the insert is wet or soiled I change just that part and reuse the colored outer part.
I have 6 covers and 13 inserts.  I wash every other day.  I'd like to order a few more covers and another pack of inserts eventually.

How I wash:
I start with a cold rinse cycle on the biggest load my machine will do.

Then I wash on the largest, longest, hottest cycle my machine will do.


I use homemade detergent on our clothes but it's not recommended for cloth diapers so I use All Free and Clear.  It's on sale often for about $2/bottle. Then I do an extra rinse at the end with a good splash of vinegar (about 1/4cup).

The covers dry fast and the inserts I let dry in the sun.  It saves on electricity and the sun bleaches them and keeps the stains away.
I ordered a medium size PlanetWise wet bag from Amazon.  It has a pouch for dirty diapers and a dry part to hold clean if you are out and about.

It hangs on my ironing board in my laundry room.  I may eventually get a hook or something but this works for me.  This is also 2 steps from the 1/2 bath where I can flush the poop down the toilet before putting it in the bag.

I keep a gallon zip-lock bag in my purse for dirty diapers and just leave this at home.  So far we haven't had a leak or a diaper rash.  Job was skeptical at first but likes them and has transitioned well. :) I started this to save money and 2 months later I'm glad I did and love that I can use these for all sizes and for future babies.


If you have any questions I can try to help!  

1 comment:

  1. That's really great Brittany! I've heard so much about these, as far as avoiding chemicals and saving money, and wondered how they really worked. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog & leaving such sweet comments!